(NOT) SLEEPING GINGER
A girl (Ginger) is lying on a bed, a bouquet of flowers in her hand. She is on her stomach, her arm hanging off the bed so that the flowers almost touch the ground. She sighs loudly. Her friend (Kate) comes up.
Kate – Ginger! What’s wrong? Are you okay?
Ginger – (half-heartedly) Yeah. I’m fine.
Kate – W-what are you doing with those flowers?
Ginger flops onto her back
Ginger – Well, I’ve been going to this conference and they said that I should wait for the Lord.
Kate – With…flowers?
Ginger – They said I should wait, so I thought I’d wait. I went and grabbed some flowers from the dining room table and lay down on my bed, to wait for my prince. You know, like Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty.
Kate – Uh…I don’t think that’s really –
Ginger – I don’t know how they could stand it! I mean, lying there for years and years. I guess it helped that they were asleep, but, really.
Kate – I wouldn’t say that’s the way –
Ginger – Waiting is impossible. And it’s so boring lying here, with nothing to do. I keep trying to picture my prince – but that just makes it worse! And what if he never comes? Then I’ll be stuck on my bed for my whole life, with a bouquet of dust-petals.
Kate – Actually, Ginger, Miss Mally didn’t say anything about a bed or flowers. Waiting for the Lord is different that waiting for a prince to come and wake you up.
Ginger – And what if I never can fall asleep? Then he’ll really never come! Oh, I’m doomed! Doomed!
Ginger throws her arms over her eyes, sticking the flower bouquet into Kate’s face. Kate carefully pushes it away.
Kate – Ginger, do you have a Bible anywhere around?
Ginger – It’s over there.
Ginger points (without uncovering her eyes) to the Bible sitting on the stool nearby. Kate picks up the Bible and finds Romans 8:28 (doesn’t have to really find it – ‘Kate’ can either memorize it or have a piece of paper stuck somewhere in the Bible with the verse on it)
Kate – Ginger, do you know what Romans 8:28 says?
Ginger – No.
Kate clears her throat.
Kate – Verse twenty-eight: And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
Ginger uncovers her eyes and shrugs.
Ginger – Well, I knew that.
Kate – Well, maybe in your head you do, but you don’t seem to be believing it right now.
Ginger – What do you mean? I believe God’s going to take care of me, no matter what happens in my life. He’ll help me through whatever comes my way.
Kate – Then how come you don’t trust him about your ‘prince?’
Ginger bites her lip.
Ginger – Weeellll…that’s different.
Kate – How so?
Ginger – Well, what if God doesn’t think I should have a prince? What if He wants me to live my whole life in misery, all alone? Like-like that lady on the Old Maid cards!
Kate laughs.
Kate – Actually, she doesn’t usually look all that miserable.
Ginger – Yeah, but I would be!
Kate - God doesn’t want you to be miserable, Ginger. He wants you to be happy – with Him, and the things that He gives to you. What He doesn’t want you to do is sit (or lie) around your whole life pining away after something He knows isn’t good for you just now. That will make you miserable.
Ginger – But what if God says I can’t ever get married?
Kate – I have an idea.
Kate pulls out a clipboard and a pen.
Kate – Okay. Tell me your criteria for your ‘perfect prince.’
Ginger’s face brightens, and she looks thoughtful.
Ginger – Well, first of all, he would have to be handsome. Very handsome.
Kate nods, and writes on her clipboard.
Ginger begins to look dreamy.
Ginger – He would have to be very kind. And like me, a lot. (Ginger grins and lifts her shoulders in glee) And he would have to like kids – that’s a must. It wouldn’t be very much fun to have a husband cranky for twenty-five years until your kids move out.
Kate chuckles.
Kate – Okay.
Ginger – He would have to always be honest, and be punctual, and not be sloppy. He would have to be willing to help me clean the dishes sometimes, and like reading. Especially Dickens. Do you think I’m being too choosy? What if there isn’t anybody like this?
Kate, smiling – Just keep going.
Ginger – Okay. He would have to like pink. And purple. Oh, and blue. And maybe yellow. Yeah, yellow, too. And pale green. He wouldn’t have to like dark green, like a forest green – just that pretty pale green color. (She pauses, thinking) It would be nice if he liked animals. If he had allergies, that would be bad, because I really like cats.
Kate – Anything else?
Ginger, after a moment – He would have to love God, and be a good worker. And patient. That’s about it. (She looks concerned) Oh, I’m too picky. I’ll never get married.
Kate finishes writing.
Kate – Actually, it’s good to be picky. Well, about some things. You could probably stand to take the colors off your list, but it’s important to set down your qualifications for a man early on, so that you aren’t just running after every cute guy you see.
Ginger – Do you think I will get married, ever?
Kate smiles.
Kate – I don’t know, but I do know that God wants what’s best for you. And maybe God does mean for you to get married. But He will do that in His timing, in His way. You don’t need to try to do it for Him. Or worry about it. Just wait for His plan. You said yourself that God will take care of you, no matter what. You just need to trust Him to do that. He will.
Ginger nods, soberly.
Ginger – All right. I’ll try to. But it’s going to be hard.
Kate – A lot of times, God’s way – the right way – is hard. But He doesn’t expect you to do it alone. He will help you stand for Him.
Ginger looks at her flowers.
Ginger – I guess I should go put these back.
Kate stands up and helps her friend out of bed.
Kate – There is one more thing I wanted to tell you. You know the list we made of what you wanted your husband to be like? Well, almost everything on your list – Jesus meets them. Like being kind, loving you, loving kids, being honest – every truly important, noble thing you wish for in a husband – you already have. In Jesus. Your true Prince.
Ginger lights up.
Ginger – Really?
The girls begin to walk off-stage.
Kate – Yeah, really. We can even find verses to back them up. Like here, in Mark 10. (Likely this whole line will not be completed by the time the girls exit the stage, out of hearing. But try to at least get to the word ‘verses’ when the girls can really hear it.
Hi, Grace!
ReplyDeleteI love this! You are a wise young lady. And I love you very much!
Love, Grandma D.